Day 13 - Vaduz (FL / CH) to Kehl (D)

Thursday 1st June
------------------------


Was originally woken up at 4am by the church bell just behind the campsite. I rings (loudly) every 30 minutes, even at night! Managed to get back to sleep but was then awoken by the heavy rain which continued until about 09:30. Packed all my gear-up and was on the road by 10:15.

I decided to make my way across Switzerland on the small roads and get to Strasbourg again. The initial views were stunning despite it being over-cast. The roads soon became amongst the most enjoyable that I have ever ridden (if you ignore the speed limits). Couldn't have just been me judging by the number of bikes on the road. Eventually the road dropped down back into small town after small town.  All very nice but it was impossible to make good progress. I'm sure you could plan an amazing route through Switzerland, given time and a good map.

Once on the German-side the road opened-up, the nice views ended but the speeds increased. Out of nowhere I hit another downpour. Struggled to find shelter but eventually found a layby with a big tree that I parked under and put on my waterproof layers, a bit after the event. 15 minutes later it was sunny again and I blow-dried going down the road!

Stopped for some traditional German food as I was starving. Donner Kebab and a Coke and I was good to do the last 1.5hrs. About 6 miles from Strasbourg I spotted a sign for a campsite on the German side of the Rhine. Why not I thought - can't stay at the same place as last time, espcially as I had already explored the town. €14 and next to a little river.

Set up my tent next to another biker (Joachim the German). He has left his wife and kids for a 4 week bike trip which he does every year. He was cool and rode off to a nearby supermarket and returned with beer - offering me some which was well received. The other campers are Canadian cyclists and some German youngsters.

Went for a walk along the Rhine, climbed a massive observation platform, saw a UFO, drank more beer, ate a sausage salad and chilled. Nice to be a tourist sometimes.

Tomorrow I head North-West into Champagne country.


Mileage: 3473
Country count: 14 (GB, F, D, A, SLO, HR, BiH, MNE, AL, MK, RKS, SRB, FL, CH)
Beers: 38 + 0.5l of red + Blueberry Schnapps + 3 Raki + 4 Pokojnice shots + 1 bottle of Croatian home-made white.
Fines: 0
Bribes: 0 (but 1 passport switching scam)
Ass pain: 4/10
Mechanical issues: 1 (headlight bulb & fuse)
Accidents: 1 (witnessed) + 1 guy reversing into me + 1 crash in Kosovo petrol station
Coldness: 1/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 4 - Plitvice (HR) to Mostar (BiH)

Day 6 - Kotor (MNE) to Ohrid (MK)

Day 3 - Bled (SLO) to Plitvice (HR)