Day 12 - Ubersee (D) to Vaduz (FL / CH)


Wedneday 31st May
------------------------

I dragged my feet this morning due to the rain which continued over night into this morning. Slowly started packing-up and the rain stopped. I decided to put my waterproof under-layers on as it didn't look promising, but after 30 minutes on the road, the sun was back out and it was hot again....

Quickly hit the centre of Munich. Some lovely grand buildings there. Unfortunately there were so many roadworks all over the city that it got annoying after a while so I continued down the road to the nearest petrol station where I binned my thermal layers and had some snacks.

I was making good time so chose to do the rest of the route on minor roads. To start with, it was great with spectacular German / Austrian scenery and the sat-nav picking some pretty odd (very minor) roads. Got to what I believe was massive lake Bodensee in Lindau / Bregenz. Lots of people cycling by the lake or swimming from the beaches around it. Very classy. After that the route pretty much went from town to town, from one red light to the next. Got a bit tedious and my average speed went down below 20mph.

Finally made it into Lichtenstein or 'FL' as it is noted on all the registrations. There was a border but I just followed the bloke in front and rode through slowly. It's all very pretty here but it doesn't look much different from the Austrian or Swiss sides.

My sat-nav reckoned that my campsite was next to the castle so I rode the twisty road past the castle only to find another 'road closed' sign. Yep, ignored it as usual but had to turn back when I came across a digger blocking the road.

With typically good timing it started raining at this point so I asked TomTom for recomendations. The solution was just a couple of miles away on the Swiss-side so I am now technically camping in Switzerland and not Lichtenstein. Finally decided to 'cook' something. Smash fused with a tin of all day English breakfast within 5 minutes - what's not to like. The Swiss looked on in amazement, I could teach them a thing or two about efficiency!

Went for a wall around the town, checked-out an old church and climbed-up to the castle. I couldn't catch my breath so no beers for me tonight. Very nice here - lovely place for retirement if you have some cash stashed away.

Tomorrow, not sure yet. Maybe Strasbourg again as it's in the right direction? Let's see.


Mileage: 3310
Country count: 14 (GB, F, D, A, SLO, HR, BiH, MNE, AL, MK, RKS, SRB, FL, CH)
Beers: 33 + 0.5l of red + Blueberry Schnapps + 3 Raki + 4 Pokojnice shots + 1 bottle of Croatian home-made white.
Fines: 0
Bribes: 0 (but 1 passport switching scam)
Ass pain: 4/10
Mechanical issues: 1 (headlight bulb & fuse)
Accidents: 1 (witnessed) + 1 guy reversing into me + 1 crash in Kosovo petrol station
Coldness: 0/10

Comments

  1. Yay for Smash Fusions - The food of champions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful - the scenery, not the Smash fusion... (but I bet it tasted good)! Enjoying reading about your travels, Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot how good Smash Fusions are. Better than today's kebab and rubbish sausage salad.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6 - Kotor (MNE) to Ohrid (MK)

Day 4 - Plitvice (HR) to Mostar (BiH)