Day 7 - Ohrid (MK) to Skopke (MK)

Friday 26th May

------------------------

Fell asleep trying to re-animate my waterproof but waterlogged phone. Luckily I still have my work phone but looks like navigation may now need to be done using my 1985 map of Yugoslavia.

It kept raining all night / morning. None of my gear had dried. The boots were especially bad so I had to put my feet into plastic bags before putting my boots on this morning! My clothes also smell of cigarette smoke which is something I am no longer used to.

Had a very slow start as after checking the weather I decided that I wouldn't bother trying to rush into Kosovo as I'd get soaked and struggle to find accommodation in the wet. Instead I had a decent breakfast, checked-out the lake, looked at my map and drank coffee.

Headed for Mavrovo National park via a back-road that my Sat-Nav didn't know about yet my 1985 map did. It was a great biking road, little traffic, nice bends and decent tarmac. Made really good progress and quickly made it to the lake. It was OK but nothing special in such cloudy weather. There was an area full of tat stalls but no customers. It looked pretty bleak and the 10's of stray dogs barking at me didn't make it any more appealing. Rode down the mountain and joined the main road which was worse than the little one for much of the way.

Eventually hit some decent toll roads, but they were also slow as you have to stop every 5 miles to pay another 70 scoobys..... Decided to head into the centre of Skopje as it was relatively early. The outskirts are a bit of a dump with yet more Romany Gypsies aggressively begging. It got nicer as I neared the centre but it then started raining heavily and got gridlocked with traffic. Couldn't be asked with going through another Tirana experience so did a U-turn and headed up the road where I found a really crappy run-down cigarette smelling 'bungalow'. It's designed for 4 people so wasn't that cheap but eventually got it down to €32. Arrived by 16:30 so a very short day for me. Beer and food here is dirt cheap. €0.50 for a hotel beer and you can have a meal for €1 whilst listening to a Macedonian Brian Ferry sound-a-like.

I also finally dried-out my stuff properly as there is an aircon thing that blows air. The gardens are nice but the place is empty. It could probably accommodate 300 for food but I'm the only one here eating, well apart from the strange ducks. Food is really wholesome and no-nonsense although I may have over done it today.

I'm a bit worried that my clutch-cable is going. It feels grindy as they do just before they snap. Took a quick look and sprayed some chain-lube in but couldn't see any fraying. Think I have a spare somewhere but won't worry about it unless it snaps on me.

I reckon my impression of both Albania and Macedonia would be very different given decent weather. Although Macedonia is OK despite the weather. Would make a bargain holiday destination in the summer.

Tomorrow Kosovo and then hopefully Serbia. Problem is, Serbia views Kosovo as part of Serbia so if I get stamped into Kosovo and then attempt to go straight into Serbia from there then they ask who illegally stamped you into their country and they turn you around.... So I have 3 options. Return to where I am now and then enter Serbia to the East of here (in fact I am probably just a few miles away from the Serbian border now).... Or head West from Pristina back into Montenegro  but on a crap road.... Final option, take a better road that goes to my favourite place Albania again but then also heads into Montenegro and finally Serbia proper. A lot of border crossings and faff but it should be the quickest way to Belgrade... It'll be a long day no matter what, hope the weather is kind but I'm told that Serbia has had unprecedented flooding..... Maybe I'll find a place to sleep along the way if it's bad. Think I have a spare day to play with and can't be asked with Venice on my own.

Mileage: 2077
Country count: 10 (GB, F, D, A, SLO, HR, BiH, MNE, AL, MK)
Beers: 20 + 0.5l of red + Blueberry Schnapps + 3 Raki
Fines: 0
Bribes: 0
Ass pain: 1/10
Mechanical issues: 1 (headlight bulb & fuse)
Accidents: 1 (witnessed) + 1 guy reversing into me
Coldness: 4/10

Comments

  1. Nice views andy, and food looks good. Hope you make the right decision in your next legg of your journey.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6 - Kotor (MNE) to Ohrid (MK)

Day 4 - Plitvice (HR) to Mostar (BiH)

Day 8 - Skopje (MK) to Belgrade (SRB)