Day 3 - Bled (SLO) to Plitvice (HR)

Monday 22nd May
------------------------
Slept pretty well again, but woke to find my normally super comfy OEX sleeping-mat was deflated. The soil was very thin so it's probably punctured somewhere. Had a bit of a walk around the lake before setting off in the direction of Ljubliana, Slovenia's beautiful capital city. It was hot and busy, like you might expect. In the end I couldn't be asked getting off the bike to take decent pics but I did see some really lovely bits. Rode up a no entry road that had a good view of the city, castle, etc, but only stopped for a bit as I didn't want a telling-off.

Made my way quickly to the Croatian border. The roads are excellent with some nice views but yet more tolls. There was a bit of a queue at the border and got very hot despite taking my liners out and opening all the vents. Gave-up on Zadar as I didn't want to spend another day on motorways. Good move, the small roads were fun but slow. Felt that I didn't give Slovenia a decent recon as I mostly saw it from the motorway..... Lots of cops in Slovenia and Croatia. Very easy to get done for speeding off the motorways.

Decided to camp at the 'famous' Plitvice waterfalls / lakes. Caught a glimpse from the road but it was mega busy. At the campsite I was told that it was too late to go as you need at least 6hrs to see everything, catch the boat and then get the train back. Could have paid 110 Scoobys just to see the main waterfall but was told that it would be a waste. A little annoyed at myself for not having done the research but don't want to loose another day.... A real shame - will need to come back one day. When I'm retired then I'll buy a camper-van and return with my wife to all the places that I never checked-out properly.

Instead I was given a map and went for a hike through the local villages and to see a watermill / river / old village, etc. All very much like rural Poland in the Summer. Well in the mountains anyway. Took some of my annoyance away as it was all superb and best of all, no tourists (or anyone for that matter) in sight. Perhaps it was meant to be.

Campsite isn't really a campsite. It's massive and stretches for literally miles. You just pitch-up wherever. I'm in the middle of nowhere and still haven't found the toilets. Very nice restaurant and bar in the middle though which most people drive up to due to the distances involved.

Had a mushroom soup for starters, followed by the chef's special - veal covered in kraft cheese slices. Could be worse, could be eating my own food. Cheaper than Slovenia but still over £1 for a beer. Starving today as I've only had snacks since last night.

Missing my wife's birthday celebrations today (again). Would like to be home for that, but what can you do. I raise a glass for you from sunny Croatia.

Tomorrow, skipping Zadar and heading straight to Mostar in Bosnia-Herzegovina, probably. Haven't looked a map yet so fear that I could end-up missing much of the Dalmation coast. Maybe I'll call into work and see if I can get another week off?

Mileage: 1248
Country count: 6 (GB, F, D, A, SLO, HR)
Beers: 7 + 0.5l of red + Blueberry Schnaps
Fines: 0
Bribes: 0
Ass pain: 4/10
Mechanical issues: 0
Accidents: 1 (witnessed)
Coldness: 1/10

Comments

  1. Benia (from a sunny Swindon)

    Good to hear about your journey and the fact your backside it's giving you too much gyp! Your wife's Birthday was really nice and it was really good to catch up with her and other friends - we rocked and ate 'til we dropped!!

    Keep your sense of adventure and enjoy what you see and experience, when you retire, you can write a memoir and live off the proceeds!!

    Cioa for now
    bx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Benia, glad the party went well. Yeah, enjoying things a lot so far - tomorrow Albania!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6 - Kotor (MNE) to Ohrid (MK)

Day 4 - Plitvice (HR) to Mostar (BiH)

Day 8 - Skopje (MK) to Belgrade (SRB)